Friday, February 29, 2008

Strengthen Your Heart

by Hazel Holland

Give me a heart that is fixed and unbreakable,
‘Cause the one I have is so impractical.
I find myself giving and wanting to share
All the joy and the laughter, the pain and despair.
When I’m all alone in my own desert places
Where is the answer to life’s empty spaces?
When I want to reach out and be touched by you
I do not wear armor as some people do.
I’m a soul that lies open and chooses to feel
All the heartache and ecstasy that makes life real.
Instead of protecting, I’ll strengthen my heart
So that life’s stinging arrow will seem like a dart.
Can I risk again and let more of life in?
God, why was I born without a skin?

_____________________________
I wrote this poem as I struggled to know how to protect my heart from ever being broken again...

1 comment:

  1. I was 3 years old when you wrote this... and yet I resonate with it now, 23 years later. Hazel, seriously, Thank you for pouring your heart out, being honest and vulnerable and then letting us read it. I hear myself in these poems. They are so...

    freeing

    ReplyDelete